The story of St Joseph’s Primary School begins in 1937 when the
newly-built church-school building in Buckingham Avenue, Springvale was blessed and opened by Daniel Mannix, Archbishop of Melbourne. Classes commenced the following year with 45 students.

For 16 years the school was staffed by the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions, who handed the reigns to the Brigidine Sisters in 1955. Over the next 20 years the school population boomed as the multicultural landscape of Springvale transformed. These new arrivals received a warm welcome in the St Joseph’s community. The school’s first lay principal arrived in 1972 and soon after, the Conventual Franciscan Friars took over the running of the school.

In 2013 St Joseph’s Primary School celebrates 75 years of community spirit. This website tells the story of the children who have passed through its doors, the teachers who educated them and the community that supported them. It is also the story of Springvale and the many changes to the area and to the parish. The St Joseph’s community has provided a welcoming, nurturing and encouraging environment for generations of children and played a formative role in their lives.

The contents of this website have also been produced as a book, With Open Arms: 75 Years of St Joseph’s Primary School Springvale 1938–2013, which is available for purchase from the school.

St Joseph’s Primary School Springvale
33 St Johns Avenue, Springvale
Victoria 3175 Australia
T: (03) 9546 8223